Wednesday, October 06, 2004

 

Fewer Hitters That Really Suck

Was reviewing Lee Sinins' final stats package for the American League, looking through the part discussing Runs Created Above Average (RCAA). This refers to how many Runs Created an average player contributes above or below the average player at that position, adjusted for things like park factors and whatnot. I uploaded that portion to my website -- please click here:

http://www.geocities.com/chuck_hildebrandt/2004_AL_RCAA_FINAL.htm

The thing that immediately struck me is that the Tigers are the only team in the AL without any hitters who had as low as -10 RCAA. The Indians were close, with only one player exceeding -10 RCAA (Tim Laker, -11).

This points to my earlier post about Alan Trammell today -- he did not waste plate appearances on hitters who really suck. And to me, the most amazing thing about this is that it took Fernando Vina a mere 131 plate appearances to lead the team in negative RCAA for the entire year.

Like I said when we signed the guy back in December: that's $6 million gone "whoosh" down the toilet.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?